Scholarships, grants, and loans

You don’t have to go into debt to fund your education. MBU offers a range of grants and scholarships to help you afford your degree. That’s money you’ll never have to pay back. To start finding out what you’re qualified for, fill out the Free Application for Financial Student Aid, or FAFSA.


Mary Baldwin and outside sources offer a variety of scholarships, which are typically awarded based on your coursework, community and civic service acts, or honor society membership.

Talk to an MBU advisor today to determine what you’re eligible for.

Alumni Scholarship
As a proud Mary Baldwin University alumnus, you’ll receive a 10% discount on graduate tuition*. Let your admission representative know that you are an alumnus of MBU. Grow in your field with our exceptional graduate programs designed to advance your career. This discount cannot be combined with other MBU grants or scholarships. Contact our admissions team for more information on which programs are included.

*Our professional health sciences programs are not covered under the alumni scholarship benefit.  Please contact our admissions office to determine what financial aid you may qualify for.

A Mary Baldwin University graduate is seen from behind. Her mortarboard is decorated with the words, how lucky to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. She is looking off into the future.

Military Leader Scholarship

A $1,000 annual scholarship is available to students who were honorably discharged from military service — spouses and dependents may also qualify. Proof of military service is required.

Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) Advantage Discount

Non-degree-seeking students pursuing coursework toward BCaBA or BCBA certification who are Registered Behavior Technicians or Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analysts are eligible for a special 10% tuition discount.

Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship

Prospective and current MBU undergraduate students who have earned or will earn a transferable associate degree and are PTK members may apply for this $1,500 scholarship, awarded in the spring. Contact the Director of Advising for MBU for information.

Outside Scholarships

There are plenty of other scholarship opportunities out there. Check with your employer and any community or religious organization to which you belong to see if they offer tuition assistance. Talk to an MBU advisor for more info.

First Responder Scholarship

Students who are currently employed in emergency medical services, law enforcement, and fire and rescue may qualify for this new scholarship opportunity. Eligible students can receive up to $1,000 annually

Community Leader Scholarship

A $1,000 scholarship is available to students currently employed at a company or business that is a member in good standing with the Virginia Chamber of Commerce. Proof of employment is required.

Carpenter Healthcare Administration Scholarship

MBU’s HCA program is the only endowed undergraduate program of its kind in the United States. There are several specific scholarships available to healthcare administration undergraduate students.

State and federal grants

Grants are financial aid offered by the Commonwealth of Virginia or the United States federal government — no repayment required. To find out what you’re eligible for, start by submitting a FAFSA.

Need help or have questions? MBU advisors can help make sense of the process.

A young woman with thick glasses sits by a computer on her phone. her desk has art supplies on it.

Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG)

If you are a Virginia resident taking at least 12 credit hours and complete the application by July 31st, you will receive an estimated grant of $2,000. It is easy to apply, and you do not pay it back. The priority deadline is July 31. Military and dependents stationed in Virginia are also eligible.

Pell Grant

A federal need-based grant available to students earning their first undergraduate degree or enrolled at least half-time in the post-graduate teacher licensure program with remaining lifetime eligibility. Pell Grants are prorated based on enrollment status. You must file a FAFSA each year to determine Pell Grant eligibility.

Iraq And Afghanistan Service Grants

You may qualify if you are not eligible for a Pell Grant based on your FAFSA expected family contribution, but meet the remaining Pell Grant requirements. You also must have a parent or guardian who was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11. Students must have been under 24 years old and enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of their parent or guardian’s death.

Federal TEACH grant

The TEACH Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 a year to students who are planning to become teachers in a high-need field in a low-income area.

VA Benefits And The Yellow Ribbon Program

MBU participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, providing institutional funds to supplement your educational benefits through the Veterans Administration under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Learn more about your VA benefits.

Two-Year College Transfer Grant

This grant from the Commonwealth of Virginia is available for students who meet requirements, including financial need and an associate degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher; full-time undergraduate enrollment; and completion of the FAFSA. The maximum base award is $1,000 annually. An additional $1,000 bonus award is offered for students in science, teaching, mathematics, or nursing.

Loan options

Almost all students are eligible for Federal Direct Loans. The only federal aid offered to graduate students are loans. 

There are two types of Federal Direct Loans:

  • Subsidized: Need-based loans that accrue no interest until after you graduate. Must be an undergraduate student to qualify for subsidized loan funding.
  • Unsubsidized: These begin to accrue interest while you are in school. You are not required to make payments while a student but may make payments at any time. Undergraduate students and graduate students are eligible for unsubsidized loans.

Graduate PLUS Loans:

  • Grad PLUS loans are loans made to graduate or professional students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid. Eligibility is not based on financial need, but a credit check is required. Borrowers who have an adverse credit history must meet additional requirements to qualify.

Talk to an MBU advisor if you have any questions. We want to make sure you graduate with as little debt as possible.

A woman in a blazer looks at her phone.
The Mary Baldwin flag waving high above campus
The top cornice of Mary Baldwin University's dining hall. The top features arches and a pineapple topper.

Ready to apply?

Questions? Mary Baldwin’s admissions team is ready and available right now.

Eager to launch the next phase of your education? Simply fill out our application form. An admissions counselor will be in touch with a decision within a week!