Leadership Studies at Mary Baldwin University provides tools to examine people in action — in government, business, the military, the community, and social groupings. Students engaged in the discipline understand what leadership is as well as how effective leadership is practiced in groups, institutions, and nations.
Leadership Studies classes combine theory with practice, giving students the tools and confidence to lead.
Twenty-one semester hours (7 courses) are required for this certificate comprising 9 hours of core, 3 hours of communication, and 9 hours of requirements in your choice of a track. Up to nine hours (3 courses) may be transferred from other institutions or completed by a prior learning portfolio.
Upon completion of the program, you receive a Certificate in Leadership Studies and a special designation on your transcript.
REQUIRED CORE COURSES (9 hours):
- INT/POLS 230, History and Theories of Leadership
- INT 330/331, The Practice of Leadership Seminar
- PHIL 235, Ethics, Community, and Leadership
COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENT (3 hours; choose one course):
- COMM 100, Public Speaking
- COMM 280, Intercultural Communication
- REL 237, Mediation: Theory and Practice
BUSINESS TRACK (9 hours; choose three courses):
- BUAD 200, Management Principles
- BUAD 202, Organizational Behavior & Interpersonal Communication
- BUAD 250, The Female Executive: Strategies in the Workplace
- BUAD 287/387, Business Internship
COMMUNITY & SOCIAL CHANGE TRACK (9 hours; choose three courses):
- CE 271, Semester of Service Practicum
- CE 281, Civic Leadership & Social Entrepreneurism
- ECON 215, Poverty, Inequality, and Welfare
- HCA 245, Health Care Policy, Politics, & Law
- PHIL 320, Peacemaking: Gandhi & Nonviolence
- REL 221, Christian Faith, Peace, and Justice
- SGS 261, Sexual Minorities
- SOC 112, Social Problems
- SOC 240, Community and Urban Sociology
- SOC 248, Social Inequality
- SOWK 353, Social Work & Diverse Populations
MILITARY LEADERSHIP TRACK (9 hours):
Note: Only available to VWIL cadets seeking commission
- ROTC 3XX, Aerospace Studies/Military Science/Naval Science
- ROTC 4XX, Aerospace Studies/Military Science/Naval Science
- INT 287/387, Internship
Cost and Financial Aid
A great education is worth it. Here’s how Mary Baldwin helps you pay for it: Generous financial aid packages, a broad range of scholarships, transferring maximum credit hours from previous coursework or relevant work and life experiences — the list goes on. Our mission is to help you level up and bring your aspirations to life.