Veteran’s Benefits

MBU is recognized as a Military Friendly School, which means that it’s among the top 20 percent of colleges doing the most to ensure the success of America’s military service members and their families. The university participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, a provision of the Post-9/11 GI Bill that makes additional tuition assistance available to eligible veterans. MBU is also a member of the Training and Education Alliance (TEA).

A woman in military fatigues looks into the camera. She has glasses and a mortarboard on her head.

MBU is military friendly

Mary Baldwin provides top-notch, personalized assistance throughout the benefits process. Our financial aid office has a solid track record working with veterans, service members, reservists, and their families. And our expert faculty and advisors understand the challenges of balancing work and studies. That’s why an MBU education is designed to fit your schedule and busy life.

Have questions? Talk to an MBU advisor.

Apply for your VA Benefits

Recipients of the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) transfer of benefits have a two-step process. The veteran (spouse or parent of the student) applies to transfer the benefits, and then the student must apply to receive the benefits. Both parts of this process are completed at

Application questions may be directed to the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

MBU Veteran’s Benefits Request Form

Once you have applied to receive VA benefits, you must complete the Veteran’s Benefits Request Form. The School Certifying Official for Veteran’s Benefits can be reached by contacting the Financial Aid Office at 1-800-468-2262 or at

Mary Baldwin University made the process easy, and the GI Bill made it affordable.

Tracy Hiner ’12, Navy vet
Tracy Hiner, '12

Types of Benefits

Except in the case of the Chapter 33 benefit, the VA does not disclose or determine the amount of expected payment to the college. Mary Baldwin receives a monthly statement of how much students in chapters 30, 33, 35, and 1606 receive after payment has been issued. Each student’s circumstances are different. After you send your Veteran’s Benefits eligibility paperwork to the financial aid office, your financial aid award will be reviewed.

Chapter 30

The student is the veteran. Monthly payments are made directly to the student, who can then make payments to the college.

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits)

The student is the veteran. The Financial Aid Office and the Student Accounts Office work together to submit the enrollment and charges for those students to their vocational rehab counselor. Mary Baldwin bills the Veterans Reemployment Rights office directly for student’s tuition.

Chapter 33

The student is the veteran, OR a parent or spouse has transferred benefits to the student. If 100% eligible, the VA pays the student’s net tuition (tuition minus any grant assistance specifically designated to be used towards tuition), directly to the college. If less than 100% eligible, the VA pays a percentage of net tuition. Most (but not all) students receive a book stipend and housing allowance that are paid directly to the student. 

Active-duty service members (or their dependents) receiving the housing allowance paid during active duty, students who have no group courses, and students who are less than half-time generally do not receive the housing allowance. Please note: Some students who are eligible for Chapter 33 lose the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) due to state regulations on how TAG is awarded, but it is replaced with GI Bill funding.

Chapter 35

The student is the dependent of a deceased or disabled veteran. Monthly payments are made directly to the student, who can then make payments to the college.

Chapter 1606

The student is the veteran, usually a reservist. Monthly payments are made directly to the student, who can then make payments to the college.

Receiving benefits at MBU

Once you are eligible for benefits, you need to contact the financial aid office to start a benefits file.

  • Submit something in writing to indicate what chapter of benefits will apply and when you plan to start using the VA benefits.
  • If you are transferring to Mary Baldwin from another college, complete a Change in Place of Training or Program form with the VA or submit it to the Mary Baldwin financial aid office.
  • Prior to each semester, students with VA education benefits will be sent a form to complete with their academic advisor to verify that they wish to have their enrollment certified for that semester or term and that all of the courses they are taking are needed to complete degree requirements. Students are eligible for certification until they graduate, exhaust their benefits, withdraw, or are not meeting satisfactory progress criteria.
  • If you have a Certificate of Eligibility, the college will collect a copy. If you have not yet received the certificate, submit your certificate upon receipt and provide any documentation received up to that point.
A family sits together in their house. The father holds a tablet as his young daughter hangs on his shoulders.
The Mary Baldwin flag waving high above campus
The top cornice of Mary Baldwin University's dining hall. The top features arches and a pineapple topper.

Ready to apply?

Questions? Mary Baldwin’s admissions team is ready and available right now.

Eager to launch the next phase of your education? Simply fill out our application form. An admissions counselor will be in touch with a decision within a week!